RN27 – Regional Network Southern European Societies
The aim of RN27 is to facilitate sociological research in Southern Europe and of Southern European Communities abroad and to promote communication and cooperation between sociologists and between sociologists and other social scientists interested in the region. Also, we would like to encourage the participation of sociologists from neighboring countries working on common areas, specially the Mediterranean area, the Middle East, and others.
This conference will discuss the challenges and dilemmas of Southern European Societies in several strands of research in order to provide an authoritative account of the current situation. Participants are invited to discuss comparative research and specific studies with general implications as a means to understanding Southern European Societies at regional and international level.
Although other proposals will be welcome, we especially invite papers on the following topics:
– Social problems in Southern European Societies (poverty, violence, social exclusion, unemployment, etc.)
– Social trends and social transformations (employment, science and innovation, education, family, gender issues, migration, etc.);
– Social and cultural structures in the south of Europe (stratification, social classes, statuses, values, identities and cultural patterns);
– Institutions and governance (institutions related to welfare, education, politics, economy, etc.; informal institutions; institutional quality; institutional dependence);
– Convergence and divergence in Southern European Societies (social differentiation and social convergence between southern European regions and countries. Convergence and divergence processes in the European Union domain and beyond);
– Social issues and trends in the Mediterranean Area, the Middle East and other areas of Europe with implications for Southern European Societies;
– The production of sociological knowledge for informing policy making in southern European regions and countries (applied research, orientation or research and relationship between sociological research and policy).
All participants will receive the badge, as only registered participants will be permitted to attend the scientific sessions; you are required to wear your badge when entering and while remaining in the conference venue.
- Cancellations and Refunds
Notice of cancellation have to be made in writing by email to the ISVI secretariat Office.
The policy for refunding registration fees is as follows:
Written cancellation received:
– before September 30th: 50% refund,
– after September 30th: no refund.
The date of the email/fax ID is the basis for considering refunds. Refunds will be made after the conference.
Certificates of paper presentation and Certificates of partecipation will be issued at the desk office.
By registering to the ESA/RN27 Mid-term Conference 2018 participants agree that neither the organising committee nor the congress office assume any liability whatsoever. Participants are requested to make their own arrangements for health and travel insurance. The conference fee does not include insurance. Cancellations made after the deadline cannot be refunded for any reasons.
- Coffee Breaks
During the session breaks, refreshments (coffee, tea and water) will be served free of charge to participants wearing name badges.
WiFi is available throughout the conference venue.
Network ID: _______________
If you should have any questions, the conference staff will be pleased to help you.
The official language of the congress will be English (no simultaneous translation).
- Bank services
Banks are generally open from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and an hour and a half in the afternoon between 2:30 and 4:40 (closed on Saturdays and Sundays). There are multiple bank machines (ATMs) open 24 hours a day throughout the city which accept all major international bankcards. The official currency of Italy is the Euro (€). Major credit cards are widely accepted, but please always check beforehand.
- Emergency Services
European Emergency Number: 112
- Telephone calls
The country code of Italy is 39 and the area code for Catania is 095.
- GSM Cell Phone Roaming
Roaming charges within the European Union have officially been abolished. The EU “roam like at home” rules mean that when you use your mobile phone while travelling outside your home country in any EU country you don’t have to pay any additional roaming charges.
- Time Zone
Italy’s time zone is Central European Time (CET) – GMT +2 hours.
The weather is generally nice (average 20°C, high: 26°C, average low: 15°C) in Catania in October.
- Electricity Supply
220-240 V – 50Hz AC, using CEI 23-50, CEI 23-5, some (older) sockets will not accept CEE 7/7 plugs, however in modern installations multiple standard sockets have been used.
- Tourist Information Centres
The exact address and opening hours of the tourist offices in Catania can be found in the Website of the Catania Tourism: https://www.comune.catania.it/la-citta/turismo/contatti-e-mailing-list/